Air quality is very important for maintaining a healthy home, and a common misconception is that the traditional 1” wide filter beside your furnace provides more healthful air quality, when in fact the sole role of a 1” filter is to protect the furnace fan from items that could damage the fan blades – essentially 2x4s and small animals.
When a high quality filter is used in that 1” space, the airflow through the furnace is drastically reduced, causing the furnace’s operating temperature to increase beyond the limits of the furnace’s design. A pressure drop this substantial, at best, causes rapid degradation of the furnace and, at worst, causes the furnace to shut down due to overheating; the latter being the more common occurrence as the mercury drops – just when you need the furnace the most.
Jamison Furnace offers a wide array of air quality solutions which increase your home’s healthfulness without damaging your furnace.
Recommended Air Quality Products
High-Efficiency Media Air Cleaner – Extra wide to permit adequate air flow
The GBB High-Efficiency Air Cleaner helps protect and prolong the operating efficiency of central heating and cooling systems compared to systems that do not use enhanced air filtration components. The filter captures household dust, coal dust, insecticides, dust mites, pollen, mold spores, fungi, bacteria, pet dander, cooking smoke and grease, and tobacco smoke particles. The convenience of a disposable filter, without harming the furnace
Electronic Air Cleaner – A “bug zapper” for dust
With a four-stage air cleaning process (pre-filters, charging section, grounding plates and carbon filters), the GSASD Air Cleaner efficiently captures atmospheric and household dust, coal dust, insecticides, dust mites, pollen, mold spores, fungi, bacteria, cooking smoke and grease, pet dander and tobacco smoke particles.
Ultra-Violet Air & Object Purifiers – Anti-bacterial/anti-fungal sterilization
The UVX Ultraviolet Air and Object Purifiers are ideal for offices, lounges, smoking rooms, daycare centers, residential homes and any location where more healthful air is desirable. Units also feature the ultra-bright LED “Smart Lamp System” visual operating display.
Whole-House HEPA Air Cleaner – The most effective air sterilizer available
The DMH900 Whole-House Air Cleaner uses HEPA, UVC germicidal lights (non-ozone producing) and CinQuartz® Photo-Catalytic Oxidation (PCO) to filter and sterilize the air. This unit removes and destroys allergens and atmospheric dust, as well as biological and chemical contaminants and odors. The DMH900 can be mounted in a variety of positions: duct-mounted, collar-mounted or free-standing unit.
The benefits of humid air in your home are vast, but only a fraction of those benefits are usually considered.
High humidity in the home is beneficial in the following ways:
- Electricity – Humid air is less dense than dry air, requiring less energy to power the furnace’s circulating fan.
- Electricity, Fuel and Furnace “Wear & Tear” – Humid air has a greater “thermal mass” than dry air, meaning it will absorb more heat on each pass through the
furnace than dry air. This allows your furnace to input the same amount of heat into your home in a shorter time, which leads to the furnace running for a lesser percentage of time.
- Electricity, Fuel, & Furnace “Wear & Tear” – The human body regulates it’s temperature by perspiring and allowing that moisture to evaporate from the skin. In a humid environment, this process is much less aggressive, making the air temperature feel warmer than it actually is (the opposite of the “wind chill effect”), which allows you to set your thermostat slightly lower than you would with dry air and still feel equally comfortable for less furnace fuel consumption.
- These three aspects together see the furnace turning on less often, running for shorter cycles each time it turns on and using less energy while it is operating.
- Humid air reduces the frequency and severity of, and expedites the recovery from respiratory infections. Humid air alleviates snoring, relieves sinusitis and nose-bleeds and supports healthy skin.
- Humid air’s molecules are spaced more distantly than dry air, dramatically reducing static electricity within the home. This substantially reduces those annoying zaps, which can also damage sensitive electronics such as low-voltage computer parts.
Preservation of the Home and its Contents, & Improved Air Quality
- In low humidity, all organic material degrades more rapidly. While this is most damaging to wooden items, such as hardwood flooring, musical instruments and antique furniture, approximately 95% of the materials used in the construction of your home degrade more rapidly in a low-humidity environment. As a result, maintaining high humidity in your home extends its life as well. As these construction materials break down, they off-gas what’s known as “Volatile Organic Compounds” (VOCs). VOCs, while typically not acutely toxic, have compounding long-term adverse health effects.
- No Standing Water Exposed to Ventilation System
- Entire Base of Humidifier is a Drain Pan, Eliminating Leaks Caused By Neglect
- Unit Boils Water and Automatically Injects Dry Steam Into the Airstream Within the Ductwork
- Unique Water Reservoir Design Subverts Hard Water Problems Which Make Most Steam Humidifiers Used in Calgary Chronically Problematic
- No Standing Water Exposed to Ventilation System